Latin American Studies
In the master’s programme in Latin American Studies at Leiden University you will focus on key social, political, linguistic and cultural developments which are currently shaping the complex reality of Latin America.
During the programme you will learn to understand the here and now of this region by paying attention to the most recent academic discussions.
Choose Latin American Studies at Leiden University
- Gain expertise from the diverse perspectives of a wide range of academic disciplines such as modern history, literature, and linguistics, as well as the social sciences,
- Immerse yourself into the current reality of Latin America through Spanish-taught lectures. This allows you to use present-day Latin American sources and documents on a wide range of topics.
- Conduct individual field work research for your final thesis in a Latin American country of your choice.
- Learn from scholars based in Latin America through the department’s long-existing contacts with academic centres and scholars in most Latin American countries.
All this makes the programme unique in the Netherlands and abroad, attracting very motivated students from a wide variety of, among other, European and Latin American countries.
You can choose from three disciplinary tracks:
- Public Policies in Latin America
- Cultural Analysis in Latin America
- Language Variation and Bilingualism
Due to the department’s long tradition of research and teaching at Leiden University, the staff has built up a well-established international reputation.
The programme also maintains a broad network of active contacts throughout Latin America, capable of offering you support during your research period. You will have the possibility to carry out research at various locations, including:
- Universidad Nacional de Córdoba
- Universidade de Sao Paulo
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
- Universidade Federal de Rio Grande do Sul
- Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
- Universidad de Chile
- Universidad Diego Portales
- Universidad de Santiago de Chile
- Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla
- Colegio de México
- Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia
- Universidad Iberoamericana
But we also offer possibilities in many other Latin American countries.
Check out the programme in Latin American Studies