From Cells to Organisms
New specialisation as of September 2017. Students starting per February 2017 should enroll still in the current specialisations and will follow the full two year program as presented on this website and in the e prospectus.
This research-oriented master specialisation offers students the unique possibility to integrate molecular, cellular and organismal levels of research, but also provides the possibility to specialize in one of these levels. It equips students with advanced knowledge ranging from the functioning of individual cells to the communication between cells, and the development, physiology and behaviour of multicellular organisms. An important aspect of this specialisation is to understand the molecular mechanisms underlying health and disease and how cells and organisms adapt to environmental factors ranging from light, stress and pathogens to ecological and social conditions. Model organisms include bacteria, fungi, plants and animals (invertebrates and vertebrates). The subject areas covered encompass functional genomics, signal transduction, cellular differentiation, evolution, development, host-microbe interactions and animal behaviour.
Reasons to Choose Biology in Leiden
- Central location at the Leiden Bioscience Park, easy to reach by bus or train.
- Unique combination of knowledge and expertise through close collaboration between four renowned research institutes, being: the Institute of Biology Leiden, the Naturalis Biodiversity Center (NBC, Leiden), the Institute for Environmental Sciences (CML, Leiden), and the Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO, Wageningen)
- Attractive set-up of the programme, starting with a fixed theoretical part, but with ample opportunity to assemble your own study path.
- Possibility to combine training in biological research with training in communication, education or science-based business.
- Many possibilities for interesting research projects (also abroad) and elective courses (see the e-Prospectus), by the embedding in the Faculty of Science and the connections with the Leiden University Medical Centre (LUMC) and with bioscience-based companies that are also located at the Leiden Bioscience Park.
- International and interdisciplinary research environment.
- Access to state of the art facilities, among which a lab for high throughput genotyping, the Nanopore Sequencing Lab, the Metabolomics Facility, the Cell Observatory, the Netherlands Centre of Electron Nanoscopy (NECEN), and the collections of the National Herbarium, Hortus and Naturalis.
For more information on the programme, see the e-Prospectus.