Classical and Mediterranean Archaeology
Classical and Mediterranean Archaeology is a one-year MA-specialisation at the internationally renowned Archaeology Faculty of Leiden University. The programme focuses on urbanisation and culture contact in the Mediterranean region, from the Bronze Age up to the Middle Ages.
Choose Classical and Mediterranean Archaeology at Leiden University:
- Gain in-depth knowledge on the archaeology of town and country in the Mediterranean region as well as the archaeology of culture contact in the (wider) Mediterranean.
- Benefit from the close link between the courses and the ongoing research projects in the region. This ensures that current insights and findings are incorporated in the teaching.
- Explore issues ranging from the Bronze age up to the Middle Ages, taking an interdisciplinary approach.
- Become acquainted with current debates in the exciting discipline of Classical and Mediterranean Archaeology and get to know national, as well as international, academic experts.
- Engage in a period of (international) fieldwork, or opt for an internship in a museum or an (international) institution. This will provide you with valuable hands-on experience of archaeological methods and materials and will expand your network.
- Study at a faculty that ranks in the top ten worldwide in academic reputation and research impact (March 2017 QS World University Ranking by subject).
This master’s specialisation is open for graduates in Archaeology, Ancient History and Classics, as well as for those qualified in History and Anthropology.