Biology and Education
As of September 2017, the current Biology specialisations will be reorganised into the following four (more discipline-oriented) specialisations:
- Biodiversity and Sustainability
- Evolutionary Biology
- From Cells to Organisms
- Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology
Students starting per February 2017 should enroll still in the current specialisations and will follow the full two year program as presented on this website and in the e prospectus.
The Master specialisation Biology and Education consists of one year education in research-oriented biology (taught in English) and one year training for teaching at Dutch high schools (taught in Dutch).
The diploma leads to the teacher qualification, which is required to teach biology at Dutch high schools.
In the biology research year, courses and a research project can be chosen from the master specialisations Animal Biology and Disease Models, Plant Sciences and Natural Products, Microbial Biotechnology and Health and Evolution Biodiversity and Conservation.
Reasons to Choose Biology and Education in Leiden
- The MSc programme is a collaboration of the Institute of Biology Leiden, the Naturalis Biodiversity Centre and the Institute of Environmental Sciences giving the programme a very broad and diverse scope.
- The choice of courses and internships is further increased by the embedding in the Faculty of Science and the connections with the Leiden University Medical Centre and Bioscience-based companies that are also located in the Bioscience Park.
- All MSc specialisations combine a solid educational programme with the focus on hands-on research, providing a balanced training.
- Biology in Leiden offers an international academic environment and world-class research.
- In Leiden, you can combine training in biological research with training in communication, education or science-based business.