Biodiversity and Sustainability
New specialisation as of September 2017.Students starting per February 2017 should enroll still in the current specialisations and will follow the full two year program as presented on this website and in the e prospectus.
The critical importance of biodiversity and the services provided by nature for our society is increasingly endorsed by national and international conventions. However, to implement the right policy measures for creating a sustainable society, a much better understanding of the biological processes involved is essential. This master specialisation aims to discuss and answer these societal relevant biological questions, such as; How much biodiversity do we need to ensure that nature functions well? What determines the stability of ecosystems? How can we quantify ecosystem services? Are invasive species always bad for the ecosystem? Will species be able to adapt sufficiently fast to global change and what are appropriate measures to facilitate this process? And, How can we optimize ecosystem functioning and biodiversity for a sustainable society? By using ‘sustainability’ as a guiding principle, the programme provides students with an academic attitude by stimulating reflective, independent and creative thinking to support, conserve and manage biodiversity and sustainable ecosystem services.
Reasons to Choose Biology in Leiden
- Central location at the Leiden Bioscience Park, easy to reach by bus or train.
- Unique combination of knowledge and expertise through close collaboration between four renowned research institutes, being: the Institute of Biology Leiden, the Naturalis Biodiversity Center (NBC, Leiden), the Institute for Environmental Sciences (CML, Leiden), and the Netherlands Institute of Ecology (NIOO, Wageningen)
- Attractive set-up of the programme, starting with a fixed theoretical part, but with ample opportunity to assemble your own study path.
- Possibility to combine training in biological research with training in communication, education or science-based business.
- Many possibilities for interesting research projects (also abroad) and elective courses (see the e-Prospectus), by the embedding in the Faculty of Science and the connections with the Leiden University Medical Centre (LUMC) and with bioscience-based companies that are also located at the Leiden Bioscience Park.
- International and interdisciplinary research environment.
- Access to state of the art facilities, among which a lab for high throughput genotyping, the Nanopore Sequencing Lab, the Metabolomics Facility, the Cell Observatory, the Netherlands Centre of Electron Nanoscopy (NECEN), the collections of the National Herbarium, Hortus and Naturalis, and an on campus “living lab” for ecotoxicology studies.
For more information on the programme, see the e-Prospectus.