Arts and Culture (research)
The Master’s programme in Arts and Culture (research) at Leiden University integrates art history, media studies, literature and literary theory, since the study of cultural objects and cultural practices is founded on a shared theoretical and methodological framework. It is unique in offering a two-year programme that integrates art history and theory with literary studies and media studies.
Choose Arts and Culture (research) at Leiden University
- Join a programme that stands out by its global character, focus on design and applied arts, and integrated study of the visual arts and architecture.
- Benefit from its intense collaboration with the MA in Media Studies and the MA in Literary Studies.
- Acquire a valuable range of skills and knowledge, both disciplinary and interdisciplinary, historical and theoretical.
- Enjoy the research master’s flexible programme, encouraging you to adopt a interdisciplinary perspective, while following courses within your ‘home discipline’ as well.
- Focus on Arts and Culture, Media Studies or Literary Studies, or explore a single period (Middle Ages/Early Modern resp. Modern and Contemporary).
The main research themes of LUCAS, the Leiden Institute for the Arts in Society, guide the themes of the courses offered. These are:
- art, agency and rhetoric
- a global approach to texts, art and media
Check out the programme in Arts and Culture (research).