English language tests
Proficiency in English is an admission requirement for most master’s programmes. You will need to submit proof of proficiency of English as part of the admission process to Leiden University, preferably by means of an IELTS test.
This requirement does not apply if you have:
- completed your education in any one of the following countries:
Canada (except Quebec), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia
- an International Baccalaureate
In most cases Dutch students with VWO level English are also exempted (please check programme description).
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Academic module. Minimum score: 6.5 for most master’s programmes, some programmes require a higher score. See individual programme description for exact scores.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum score: 570 (paper-based) / 230 (computer-based) / 88-90 (Internet- based) for most master’s programmes. some programmes require a higher score. See individual programme description for exact scores.
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
Submission of the test result
Test results are to be submitted with the application form or may be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service.
The TOEFL institution code for Leiden University is 0504.
- The certificates need to be recent: not older than 2 years.
- The modality required is “academic”. We do not accept institutional scores, such as ITP TOEFL.
- Chinese Students need to submit an IELTS or a TOEFL iBT test.
From 1 September 2008, Chinese students will be eligible to apply to study in Holland using a TOEFL score, confirmed by Neso China. Chinese students need to apply for the Nuffic certificate, which is an obligatory document for the study visa. Students can apply for the certificate at the same time as applying to the university.
- Note for Indonesian students: As of November 2009 Institutional TOEFL scores are no longer acceptable.
Pre-sessional English courses
The Academic Language Centre offers an intensive summer programme for international students who need to improve their English language skills in order to be admitted to the degree programme of their choice.